Dental implants have changed definition of dentistry in the last 25 years. Let us understand dental implants better through this article.
What are dental implants?
A dental implant is like a tooth root structure that is surgically placed into the jawbone below the gum line. A dental implant allows the dentist to fill up the gap caused due to a lost tooth. The advantage of using an implant is that it does not come loose like a denture. Also, using dental implants are good for the oral health as they do not have to be anchored like bridges.
If you have been looking for good dentists within your vicinity then Clinicspots is the right place for you. We specialize in hair treatments and provide high quality hair transplant in Mumbai . You can choose your own hair transplant doctor in Mumbai nearest to your locality and get yourself treated.
How do dental implants work?
Dental implants fuse with the jawbones and hence provide support for the artificial teeth. An advantage of this is; dentures and bridges mounted will not slip and benefit you while eating or talking. This gives the wearer a more natural look than the traditional dentures or bridges. Normally, bridges or dentures may not provide comfort to the user due to presence of sore spots. Gagging or even poor ridges. However, in dental implants no adjacent teeth need to be removed or prepared to allow the new replacement to fit in.
To get the dental implants fixed, the candidate needs to have healthy gums and strong bone support. It is highly recommended that once the implants are fixed, the user follows a proper oral hygiene and visit a dentist for regular checkups to ensure that the dental implants last longer. Also, one has to ensure that this procedure is performed by an experienced dentist to avoid any complications.
What materials are used to prepare a dental implant?
Dental implants are basically for the roots of a tooth. These are not visible once they are surgically placed into your jaws. They are usually made up of titanium. Titanium is strong, light in weight and is not rejected by the body. As a matter of fact, titanium and its alloys are most preferred for any dental or bone implants like orthopedic joint replacement. Among the implants, dental implants have the highest success rate. This is due to the fact that titanium’s special fusion property known as osseintegration allows the perfect integration with the bone. When you lose your teeth, the bone that supports those teeth is also lost. Dental implants not only help replace lost teeth but also maintain the jawbone’s shape and density. Dental implants support the facial skeleton, gum tissues, cheeks and lips. This functionality helps maintain the psychological and physical well being of a person.
How many types of dental implants are available?
There are basically two types of dental implants that have been identified by the American Dental Association;
- Endosteal implants- These implants are placed directly into the jawbone through surgery. A second surgery would be needed to connect a post to the initial implant once the surrounding gum tissues are healed.
- Subperiosteal implants- Here, a metal frame is fit onto the jawbone just below the gums. The frame fixes firmly once the gums heal. Special posts that are attached to the frame protrude through the gums and like endosteal implants, artificial teeth are mounted to the posts.
Tips to take care of your implants
Clinicspots shares a few tips to ensure that your dental implants last for a longer time and give you maximum benefit from the implants.
1.Maintain proper oral hygiene- Once you get the dental implants fixed, you need to brush and floss as per your dentist’s instructions. Special interdentally brushes need to be used for proper cleaning of the teeth
2. Quit Smoking- It is highly recommend that one stop smoking after getting the implants fixed as it can weaken the bone structure and may disrupt the implants
3. Regular checkups- Regular visit to the dentist and getting your implants cleaned will ensure that it will remain in good condition for a longer time.
4. Hard foods- Hard foods like ice or hard chocolates must be avoided as they can break the crown and your natural teeth too.
Dental implants may be slightly expensive but it is a boon for several people and provides relief in several cases. With proper care and guidance from an experienced dentist, dental implants can last for decades. Get yourself examined and after understanding thoroughly about dental implants, opt for it.